No More Paperbacks? I think not!

In the offices where I work (until I become the Next Big Thing, of course) there are a good number of us who own and love a Kindle, and another good number who are interested in owning one.  Amazon was truly on to a wonderful thing when it invented its e-reader.

In the early afternoon today (whilst working very hard at the same time - just in case my boss-lady happens across my post - naturally!) we enjoyed a lovely conversation about our Kindles and how they had affected our book-buying habits.  One of my workmates commented that she no longer buys books now that she has her Kindle.  Whilst I can see the sense in it, I still felt sad.  Despite buying my e-reader I have still bought books, and my favourite store still remains my local Waterstones, where I buy most of my books.

Our discussion made me think on about a comment that was made by John Cowton on my last blog post.  I love every single comment I receive for my blog and appreciate every one that is constructive, but this one made me stop and think:


"I have a Kindle, but I don't want your book on my Kindle, because I want it in print and signed by the author.



I too have discovered writers I would never of noticed on the High Street bookshelves. I will never stop buying books, and not all of my books come from Amazon. I still prefer to go to Waterstones or WHSmiths."

Admittedly, the first thing that I did upon reading this was try and remember the last time that I intentionally went book shopping in WHSmiths, but I have always taken the scenic route when it comes to serious thought.  In truth the staff in Wakefield's Waterstones are some of the nicest people I have met, so I tend to go there first.

Talking about taking the scenic route...I think we have taken a little detour again.

What I am trying to say is that John's comment gave me a lot to think about.  In the second part of his comment, John said what I have been saying since I bought my Kindle.  There are two parts to my life's ambition: Firstly to become a successful author and secondly to own a house with a room dedicated to housing my books.

The Kindle has given me a mini-library in its own right, but it has done nothing to put me off my dream library in my own house.  For all its convenience and impressive performance, a Kindle cannot compare with a full bookcase of well-loved books (paperbacks for preference). 

My feelings towards ebooks and paperbacks (it's my opinion that Hardbacks are for collectors and the dangerously impatient.) go a little bit further than John's.  When he said that he would prefer a signed copy of my book as opposed to one on his Kindle, my initial thought was: "why not both?"

I am one of the mad people.  I do not see the harm in owning paperback novel and ebook version of the same title.  That way I do not have to worry about carrying my favourite books around to read during my travels, but if I want to read a "proper" book, I don't have to compromise.  Whilst I wouldn't do it for every book, I would consider it for books and authors I enjoy.

I certainly will not stop buying books - there is no substitute for a favourite paperback - and with the Kindle I can enjoy a good read without worrying about my book being damaged.  Both printed and ebooks have positive and negative sides to them, and there are still plenty of people standing by the traditional book and those who buy both.  Personally I think it is a long while before we have to worry about the disappearance of our bookshops.

Before I leave, thinks to Chloe and John for the feedback about my choice of title.  It was thoroughly appreciated.

HC x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Entry of 2011 - Complete!!!!

An Eventful Week

The Dying Art of Letter-writing